Monday, February 10, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 7 - Safe Harbor

Unfortunately, life is full of drama and conflict quite frequently.  I decided several years ago that my home needed to be a safe harbor as much as possible from these toxic, negative things.  Obviously, voices get raised, conflicts arise between the children, the children & I, or myself and another adult.  But home has become a place I crave to be when I am feeling stressed, sick, or sad.
 
Once I grew out of the idea that I needed to be out and about as much as possible with a loaded calendar, I came to grow very fond of my couch, cuddle time, and peace and quiet.  I protect my home as much as possible from the things we encounter daily in life that bring us stress and discomfort.  It is important and effective in creating boundaries. 
 
Also, other than brief venting about the events of our days, we make it a point not to bring those stresses home with us and let them devour our home life.  Might not seem like a big deal, but when I look back on the last decade, this is a great change I have reinforced and encouraged in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment