Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 14 - Friends

I find myself reflecting on the different types of friends in my life as I approach 40.  Being the Type A personality that I am, I find it easiest to categorize them.  So here we go:

Long-Timers
These are the friends I grew up with.  For the most part, we aren't in close contact.  We use social media to keep apprised of one another's lives, have chance encounters, and occasionally see each other at reunions, weddings, and funerals.  But even though we aren't close anymore, I feel that I still know them because we knew each other in our coming of age years.  I feel that I could confide in them or even ask for help if I needed it.
 
Grown-up Friends
These are folks I've met in my 20s and 30s, even as I was continuing to evolve into the person I'm meant to become.  I've connected with them on things that intrigue, interest, or impact me.  They are special to me because our relationships blossomed not based on who I was when I was younger or who my family is, or where I went to school or church, but they just...happened.
 
New Old Friends
This is essentially a Facebook phenomenon.  People from high school I might not have known well at all, but one we connected in the here and now, I found little treasures everywhere amongst some of them.
 
Stranger Friends
These are mostly people from church, and sometimes professional acquaintances.  We have no foundation really, but for whatever reason, they show their care and concern for me in amazing ways.
 
I'm so grateful for every type of friend, even the ones I am no longer close with.  Each person has come into my life for a reason and has contributed something positive, even if they ultimately hurt me or disappointed me or vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment