Saturday, February 8, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 5 - Pursuing Passion

Since my teens and twenties, certain passions have been awakened in me.  When you have a passion for something, you don't have to talk yourself into it and you never feel obligated to it.  You want to follow your passions. 
 
In my thirties, I have followed several passions and become involved in various initiatives.  Not all of them were a good fit for me, for one reason or another.  Sometimes becoming involved in one area helped me to see a different area that was a better fit for me.
 
At church, I've been involved in several bible studies, small groups for single mothers, choir, writing devotionals, writing curriculum for small groups, and serving at a women's shelter.  I've participated in coat drives, prepared meals for recovering addicts and people dealing with setbacks in life, and prepared shoeboxes full of Christmas gifts for needy children.
 
In the schools, I've tutored kindergarteners and first graders for whom English was a second language.  I've prepared meals for teachers on conference nights and created tokens of appreciation for teachers.  I've coordinated auction baskets and coordinated room parents.
 
I've volunteered for a non-profit organization that pursued legislative changes for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities.  I've contributed to and/or participated in many community causes for cancer research, heart research, AIDS research, veterans' services, and many others.
 
Internally, I've encouraged myself to pursue passions right here at home, such as gardening, reading, and writing.  I try to read 2 books a month at least, and I write two blogs when time permits and inspiration strikes.  Typically, I find it easier to write about life's valleys than life's peaks.  I've tried to develop songwriting skills.  I need to carve out more time to sit down and play through my piano, as it is one of my greatest cathartic acts.
 
All of these things have been outlets for me - ways to express my compassion and apply my skills in efforts, large and small, to change lives.  But as much as certain things may or may not help others, they all help me to pursue my passions.  And I have found that doing that is one of the keys to being happy with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment