Thursday, February 20, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 17 - Transparency

I will be the first to admit that I can be a horrible judge of character.  On the one hand, there are people I meet whom I immediately get a bad, creepy, or suspicious vibe.  I've learned not to ignore that.  But there are others whose charm or flattery or false self-presentation completely fools me.  Even when I begin to uncover lies and discrepancies in their stories, I wind up doubting myself.  There are people who, if I had not been informed of who they are and what they've done, I would have easily been hoaxed into believing they were a victim, or a good person with good intentions, when the reverse was true.
 
Some of the people with whom I've been most open and intimate (and that's a lot, because I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve) have shocked me when they have committed transgressions against me.  Often, in talking to other about it, I find out that other are not so surprised or even saw it coming. 
 
There's not much comfort to be found here.  I can be more skeptical about people and refuse to trust them, or I can give the benefit of the doubt.  Yes, there is a gray area in between, but that's where it gets tricky.  People do not come with warning signs.  I have learned to stop ignoring red flags and things that seem too far-fetched or too good to be true.  But sometimes red flags are only half the story.  And sometimes good things are true.
 
No tidy ending here, folks.  Just a Pisces being pensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment