Monday, February 17, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 13 - My Roots are Showing

I know I didn't necessarily like it at the time, but I am so grateful for the qualities and behaviors my parents instilled in me at an early age.  I keep this in mind when I wonder if my kids understand or appreciate all that I do for them, especially as a single mom.  I know that the day will come when they will finally see.
 
We always went to church, growing up.  With the friends I made in my youth group, I believe I stayed out of a lot of trouble than I might have gotten into otherwise.  My parents kept close tabs on where I was going, with whom, and for how long.  There were no cell phones in those days.  I felt restricted, but am grateful they cared enough to not allow me to get into situations that lacked adult supervision and boundaries. 
 
Family was important.  We did not take vacations (I can think of two, and at least one was associated with a business trip of my Dad's).  Instead, we spent two weeks a year (one in summer and one at Christmas) visiting my extended family who live 500 miles away.  I saw my parents care for the aging and ailing parents, making long distance phone calls frequently, and being as supportive as possible when living so far away.
 
My parents always encouraged me and believed in me.  I am a perfectionist, and I'm not sure how much of that is who I am and how much of that is what they instilled in me, but I would up doing well in high school, graduating summa cum laude from undergrad, and attending graduate school on a full ride scholarship.  I have been blessed with the skills and responsibilities to hold secure, rewarding jobs and develop professionally and become a leader. 
 
In 39 years I have never seen/heard my parents raise their voices to one another.  To us, yes. :)  Of course I've seen them grumpy and even a little snippy with each other, but that is where it ends, at least when we were within earshot.
 
My point is this - the way that we parent lays the foundation for members of the next generation.  Many people have told me they wished they had a mom or dad like mine.  I understand the intensity of a compliment like that.  I feel extremely blessed that my parents gave me such strong roots that enabled me to become a well-rounded, well-functioning adult and parent. 
 
Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment