Sunday, February 9, 2014

Last 30 Days of My Thirties: Blog 6 - Taking Care of Me

One of the keys to my growth and happiness in the past decade is the development of ability to take care of myself.  I'm really not talking about "handling my business" independently.  I'm talking about recognizing what my mind and my body need, and seeing it to it that I give them what they need. 

When I need to de-program a bit, I give myself permission to read for awhile or to watch something entertaining on TV.  When I feel lonely, I make sure to find a trusted, supportive friend to talk to - rather than just hoping someone might call me at just the right time.  When I feel tired, I take naps instead of pushing through it.  When my head hurts, I make things quieter and soothing.  I just pay attention to my needs more than I ever used to (or had to) before.  I operate much better and more efficiently when I'm not depriving myself of reasonable remedies for my malaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment