Thursday, December 30, 2010

Two Thousand Ten

It's only natural at the end of the year to look back on everything that happened within the confines of the calendar year, reflect on our personal growth, and focus on the future.  In so many ways, one can view it as "just another year", completing another cycle of the seasons, reporting to work each day, maintaining friendships, family ties, etc.  But in so many other ways, for me at least, it can seem like a lifetime ago that 2010 began.

I have the same job I had a year ago, but the scope of my responsibilities has changed tremendously and my group of coworkers is not in tact as it was twelve months ago.  Some have moved on, and other new folks have joined our team - all of these changes irrevocably changing the dynamics of the workplace in both good and bad ways.

There are people I thought I knew a year ago who are no longer in my life.  There are people in my life whose existence was unknown to me twelve months ago.  And there are people alongside me who have changed tremendously, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

I was in a different romantic relationship at the start of 2010 than I am now.  I experienced disillusionment and emotional abuse, made choices to remove my life and my kids' lives from the wake of a human volcano whose eruptions were often unpredictable and destructive.  Now I am engaged to a man I hardly knew in high school, but who entered my life at a time where I was open to taking a small chance that turned into a huge investment and ultimately the best payoff I ever could have imagined.  We are engaged and getting married in 2011. 

I traveled to many places - three times to Virginia alone!  Once to seek solace and refuge in the arms of my family at a moment when I was feeling lost, wounded, and searching.  Once to celebrate the marriage of a beloved cousin who finally found her soulmate (and unknowingly spend time with my uncle for the last time).  And finally to memorialize my uncle who died unexpectedly.  I visited Baltimore for the first time and met some really neat people who made so many things in my life become crystal clear...  My work team enjoyed an incentive reward trip to Orlando where we shared fellowship, bonding, and the stress of making itinerary decisions as a large group.  :)  My college roommate and I enjoyed a trip to a free time share in the Bahamas where we did nothing but relax and rejuvenate and soak up the sun.  Finally, I went to Dallas for some work training.

We acquired a new pet - a turtle named Mrs. Relaxo!  I debated and designed a new tattoo but have not yet felt ready to commit to having it inked on me. 

I left a church where I felt inspired, my talents were being channeled to praise God, and my children were thriving.  The reasons for my departure were personal and tormented, but I took some time off and found another church that is very promising in terms of its breadth and depth and opportunities for reflection, growth, and servitude. 

As I stand at the threshold of 2011, I'm reminded of my visit to the Jamaican palm reader in 2008.  She told me with no uncertainty a number of things that were dead on and that not many people know.  She told me I was with the wrong man and to "keep flirting", and she told me that 2011 was going to be "my year".  She said it could be any number of big events - a career change, a move, a baby, or a marriage....but that something life changing would happen.  And here I sit and grin as I think of the promise and potential ahead of me.  All of us are richly blessed.  I'm just grateful I am in a moment where I recognize my abundant privilege and opportunities, and am willing to embrace the positive and stifle the negative.  Welcome two thousand eleven.  Are you ready for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment