Saturday, November 19, 2011

Click

When you have been living in flux for a period of time, you become bogged down in indecision, mixed emotions, and conflicts of the heart and head.  It's somewhat paralyzing because you don't know if you're taking steps forward or backward.  You're sitting on the fence, rather than standing on the ground and putting down roots. 

But at some point, something will push you in one direction or another.  And when your feet finally hit the ground, you feel...free.

My life has gained so much clarity thanks to those "click" moments.  Well not so much a moment.  More of an extended period of reflection, observation, and analysis.  Clarity comes when it comes.  It can't be forced, rushed, or unduly influenced.  When you know, you know.  Wait for it.  Pray about it.  Surround yourself with uplifting people who have the qualities you admire and strive to have yourself.  Challenge yourself.  Ask the tough questions.  Allow yourself to feel.  Hear the hard truths.

I can pinpoint in mind the conversations, realizations, and observations that brought me to my most recent "click."  This has always been how it works for me.  I can remember debating my post-grad options as I was approaching graduation at Ohio State.  I had my pros and cons list.  I'd been marinating on the ramifications of each possible decision.  And then one day, as I walked across the stadium parking lot on a gorgeous spring day, it came to me.  Perhaps it was God's voice.  I can't be sure.  But I knew where I was going next (to grad school in Cincinnati).  I remember the exact moment I emerged from months of heart-wrenching deliberation and finally decided that divorce was what I wanted and needed.

These moments of clarity are blessings.  All of the ambiguity is gone.  You feel 100% confident and comfortable with your choice.  You feel energy, optimism, and renewal as you look at your future with new eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment