Friday, January 6, 2012

thank you notes on the piano

Somewhere this week I read something about how we are all teachers and students.  We all have something to learn, and we all have something to teach.  This reminded me of something my pastor said that I’ve considered many times before – that so many of us come to church and consider it a good experience based on what we “got” out of it – how it made us feel, whether it moved us,  whether the music was good, etc. 
The new year seems as good a time as any to look in the mirror and ask myself what I am bringing to the table.  At work, am I tallying the benefits my employer provides, or am I also making sure I’m giving all that I can?  At home, am I bemoaning the time, money, and energy my children require?  Or am I grateful for the opportunity I prayed for – to be a parent and to shape another person’s life – which is all about giving.  At church, am I showing up in order to receive something?  Or am I worshipping?  Am I also sharing my God-given talents to uplift or lead or nurture others in some direct or indirect way?
It’s hard.  In a culture that’s become so individualistic, we have learned how to look out for “number one” and to measure and evaluate so many things based on “what’s in it for me.”  We certainly don’t want to be taken advantage of, and we want to only lend our precious time and energy to things and people that offer a good return on our proverbial investments.  Nothing inherently wrong with that – but how closely are we tracking our own contributions?  How much giving are we doing and how much taking?
Whenever I receive a thank you note or special card, I tend to display it on my piano for awhile.  It’s not so much about the recognition, but the point is that I want to be sure that I’m consistently and repeatedly doing good to/for others.  Going out of my way to be thoughtful, kind, and generous feels good.  It’s doing unto others as I’d have them do unto me.  I’ve made it a personal goal of mine this year to keep a steady supply of thank you notes on my piano.  It means I’m not just showing up to be a student, but that I’m taking turns being the teacher too.  And even when I think I’m teaching, quite often I’m learning at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment