Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Crop

The truth is, this has been one of the most difficult weeks I've had in quite some time, and as I've wrestled with the issues, feelings, and dilemmas I'm facing, I've largely kept to myself, which is not my style.  As I've reflected on those whom I've chosen to reach out to, and those who have reached out to me, I've realized that I have a new crop of friends.  There are so many people in my life today who weren't there, say, a year ago.  There are some specific things I've become involved with in the past year that have given me many new and quality connections, and I'm just so grateful for that.  There are people I vaguely knew 20 years ago who have now become confidantes.  There are people I met in the most odd ways who have come to be friends of mine (e.g., an ex-boyfriend's brother and his neighbor; a mom standing beside me on the first day of school as we waited to capture pictures of our sons getting off a bus). 

One friend texted me at bedtime last night, just to let me know I was being prayed for.  How amazing is that?  I can't tell you how much that meant to me.  A couple of other friends e-mailed back and forth with me, offering to let me vent, offering to pray for me, and then checking on me again to see how I was doing.

I just think it's amazing that God has brought these folks into my life at this time.  But then again, I don't think it's random chance.  I have been making a concerted effort to associate with quality people: good people with good morals, Christian people, good parents, good spouses, good employees, etc.  Of course I still have steadfast long-time friends who are there for me and I continue to be grateful for them as they have faithfully been at my side for many years.  It's just really rewarding to continue to expand the boundaries of my little world and to reap the harvest of so many wonderful people I encounter along the way.

Proverbs 27:17 states, "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."  I love the truth in this verse, but I would venture to add that people soften one another too, in a good way.  Someone told me that maybe I need to see that I'm surrounded by people that love me and that I need to let them love on me.  Being self-sufficient is a good thing, but I've been told more than once by people (even just today) that they enjoyed having the chance to take care of me or even to let me cry on their shoulder.  There have been a lot of people along my path who have needed or demanded more and more from me, taking all they could.  Now I'm allowing myself to receive too.  I suspect it's part of learning to trust again, in safe ways and with safe people.  And it's nice. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that I am one of the people of whom you speak, darling. I am so grateful that by some random happenstance (Facebook!) we have become close. I admire the woman that you have become, ma chere Danielle;)

    ReplyDelete