Saturday, June 25, 2011

Nala Don't Play

My dog Nala is so pretty.  Really, she’s quite beautiful.  And it’s not just me being biased as her owner/master/mother (whatever you want to call me) – I’ve heard it from others many times.  I was thinking today about how when people see Nala, because of her attractiveness and because she is small (Chihuahua), they instantly want to hold her or at least touch her, pet her.  But Nala doesn’t so much care for strangers.  She resents it when strangers take the liberty to touch her without gaining the permission animals require for such intimacy.  Sometimes it is embarrassing.  But sometimes I think it’s really admirable.
Just because she is pretty and easy to physically manipulate doesn’t mean she is okay with people putting their hands on her without first establishing some sort of connection.  And why on earth shouldn’t she be that way?  It’s no different to me than being in a crowded bar and having some jackass saunter over, murmuring “hey sweetheart” or “wow your eyes sure are beautiful” as they take the liberty of putting their hand in my hair, on my shoulder, over my hand, etc.  I don’t know you.  I didn’t invite you into my presence or my conversation.  And I sure as hell didn’t ask that you establish any sort of physical intimacy with me.  I’m not wearing a shirt that says “Cuddle me” or “Hold me”.  Neither is Nala.
Nala doesn’t screw around.  If you try to touch her and she doesn’t want to be touched, she will go ahead and bite you or at least show you her tiny, sharp teeth in an effort to warn you that she’s pissed.  I’ve seen research that says dog imitate their owners, whether it’s in their best interest or not to do so.  This makes me chuckle.  You could approach Nala with a fresh steak and – don’t get me wrong – this greedy overeater will want it real bad and probably find a way to get it, but only on her own terms.  And if it requires crawling into your lap, she ain’t gonna do it.   
So when we were running errands today and someone reached out to pet her and she snarled, I had to scold her, but on the inside I was saying, “Go on with your bad self, girl.  I’d have done the same thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment