Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Paradigm Shift on Failed Relationships

Today I had a paradigm shift.  Quite often, I find myself thinking or saying that I'm a failure when it comes to romantic relationships.  Today a wise mentor of mine challenged me, asking me why I would say that.  I said, "Well, every relationship I've ever been in has ended.  Every relationship has failed."    She asked me why they failed, and I started to give reasons for break-ups.  She interrupted me and said, "So breaking up equals failure?"
 
Bam WHAT?!?!
 
I blushed and gave a sheepish grin, already realizing the folly of my logic.  I know plenty of people who are in relationships and miserable.  That is not success, at least not to me.  Realizing you are with the wrong person and acting on it IS success.  Refusing to settle for less than you deserve IS success.  Staying single rather than entering a relationship for the wrong reasons IS success.  Taking time to heal and find yourself IS success.  Taking a chance on love IS success. 

Perhaps I'm not where I imagined I'd be at this stage of my life in terms of romance.  But why on earth would I presume to just happen to find the right person for me because I've reached a certain age or life stage?  I have no idea.  But now I'm free from that false, self-deprecating label as I continue to embrace opportunities to learn and grow, landing precisely where God intended me to land at precisely the moment He intended me to land there. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment